1: In an area dominated by mills containing large amounts
of combustible materials, the need for a more professional fire service was
recognised by Yeadon Council.
Mill fires occurred often and each mill owner made
rudimentary provision to deal with fires but on occasion this was not
In 1911 Yeadon Council appointed the Council Surveyor as Superintendent
of the Fire Brigade and paid for uniforms and equipment for 7 men.
was stored in a wooden shed near the Town Hall.
The Brigade Captain was a Mr
Parkinson, seen here on the left.
Harry Naylor became Captain in 1913, the men
were paid 2/- per month plus 1/- for each drill.
Jack Pullan Waite was in charge by 1919 when the retaining fees had
risen to 2/6d per man for cleaning and practice meetings, 3/6d for the first
hour when attending a fire then 2/6d for subsequent hours with a retaining fee
of £2 a year for an officer, £1 a year for men.
The fire cart in this photo is
drawn by a horse, items of pumping equipment are fixed to each end of the
It was 1925 before a fire station was built on New Road Side by the
joint Councils of Horsforth, Yeadon Guiseley and Rawdon.
2: Pictured with their cart, hoses and equipment are the 11 men who belonged
to the fledgling fire service.
3: Firemen with their cart which is loaded with hoses, pumps and