Undated: Located on Chapel Hill and built in 1834, this Wesleyan
Methodist Chapel was one the scene of rioting and bitter division.
occurred between the different Methodist factions which led to violent
disagreements in the chapel, as a result the reformers left and built a chapel
on the High Street in 1855.
Their followers grew in number and it became
necessary to erect an even larger chapel which was Queen Street or the United
Methodist Reform Church opened in 1865, the High Street premises became the
Lecture Hall and schoolroom.
All the various divisions of the
Methodist Church came together in 1932 when the Methodist Union took place but
it was some time before the Yeadon branches merged. The chapel seen here was
demolished in 1958, the present Methodist Church on the right was built to
replace it. In the foreground is the old chapel burial ground, the monuments
were removed and the area grassed over .
Between this and the present chapel is
a car park which was the site of the old chapel, the right side of the present
church was the old Wesleyan schoolroom.
Photographer of right image, Edwy Harling