Queen Street Chapel 1900
|Queen Street Chapel
Built in 1865, the chapel cost £3,600 to erect.
To the right, behind the chapel is the manse called Woodville.
Queen Street musicians and amateur actors were renowned for the quality of their performances, the annual production of Handel's Messiah just one of the popular offerings.
A caretaker was appointed on 1st March 1912, Mr G Johnson who was one of 16 applicants.
His duties also included looking after the Lecture Hall on the High Street (used by the Queen Street congregation prior to Queen Street Chapel being built), he was paid £1 per week plus provided with a house, coal, gas and water.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.