Park View Methodist Chapel 1892
|Park View Methodist Chapel
Park view Methodist Chapel was built on land donated by Jonathan Peate, prior to this meetings had been held in an neighboring cottage owned by Caleb Peate.
He had built Park View seen here on the right of the chapel.
Funds for the building were raised from a 3 day bazaar held on Nunroyd Park and another in Guiseley Town Hall.
Two foundation stones were laid on 11th April 1891, the chapel and school room were built by John Fletcher, a local man.
He used a local stone Delph-Ashlar for the exterior and pitch-pine for the interior.
It was designed to seat a congregation of 400 and opened in 1892.
The last service was on the 27th February 1983, afterwards the contents of the chapel were donated to local churches and chapels.
Money raised from the sale of the land and building was given to Guiseley Methodist Church to help with the cost of rebuilding their church on Oxford Road.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.