Aireborough Historical Society

Old Dog Mill Fire 1906

Old Dog MillOld Dog Mill FireOld Dog Mill Fire, Yeadon. 5th December 1906
Old Dog Mill Fire
Title
Old Dog Mill Fire
Date 5th December 1906
Location Yeadon
Photo ID
A183 + G070 + SL079 & FBA338 which was donated by Isabel Douglas
Comment
At this time the Old Dog Mill was owned by Sir John Brown and his son Bright Brown, part of the mill was also used by the Yeadon Dyeing Company.
A small fire in the rag grinding area had been extinguished on the 4th of December and the mill was closed for the night.
At 4am the next morning another fire was discovered, possibly something had been left smoldering the day before.
With great speed a manual fire appliance was pulled down from Crompton Mill with Guiseley Fire Brigade arriving shortly after.
At 5.15am Shipley Fire Brigade were on the scene with a contingent from Leeds at 5.30am.
It proved to be Yeadon's worst conflagration, it was unstoppable, the ferocity of the blaze consumed everything leaving only wreckage and 150 people with no work. Miraculously there were no fatalities.




 

 

 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


search