Post 1945: Isaac Swires originally had a blacksmiths shop which was
located between the Woolpack on New Road and Henshaw Lane, the advent of the
motor car led him into repairs and petrol supplies.
After 1945 his 2 sons
relocated the business to the larger site seen here, which is the corner of New
Road with Apperley Lane, now the site of JCT garage, car sales and petrol
station (March 2016).
Andrew Emsley who donated the photo
told us his Mum worked there as a pump attendant when she was a young woman.