Henshaw Bridge Demolition 1969
|Henshaw Bridge Demolition
||2nd March 1969
A branch line ran to Yeadon, spurring off from the Guiseley line, it had opened on 26th February 1894 as a goods line only, taking coal to the mills en route then transporting manufactured goods from the mills.
Occasionally a passenger special would be run during Yeadon Feast Week when all the mills were closed, enabling workers to have a day at the seaside from their home town.
Use of the line declined and it was closed in 1966.
This view looks up Henshaw Lane in the direction of Harper Lane and shows the railway bridge being demolished.
Jennings of Pudsey were the contractors, a notice states"Demolition of Bridge. Road Closed Sunday".
The buttress walls still remain, the track bed is now a nature trail.
When the bridge had been removed double decker buses were able to use Henshaw Lane.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.