Aireborough Historical Society

Altham's Shop 1913

Althams Title
Altham's Shop
Date 1913
Location Yeadon
Photo ID
A138
Comment
This shop was situated at the junction of Marshall Street and the High Street, owner Abraham Altham.
At the left edge an elderly lady is peering at the photographer, no doubt curious about the disturbance.
Althams is listed as being a grocers and there is a notice in the window advertising jams and preserves, but the store appears to be dominated by a huge variety of goods.
Cabin trunks are stacked to the left of the doorway, above the door are baskets, paintbrushes and wash leathers, rolls of linoleum are propped outside and inside the doorway.
Mr Altham poses outside his business.
The shop window is full of crockery and ornaments.
Around 1920 it was Kell's drapers, then Wilson's circa 1960.
It was demolished with the adjoining Lecture Hall in 1973 and a new row of shops built on the site..

 

 

 

hannah1
hannah1
after Wilsons it became Ben Eastwoods carpets, and the property still stands. Althams moved lower down the High Street.
18 July 2013
Post a Comment

Please login to post a comment.

 

Register

Register