Aireborough Historical Society

Aerial View Post 1935

Aerial View of Yeadon
Aerial View of YeadonAerial View of YeadonAerial View of Yeadon
Aerial View
Date Post 1935
Location Yeadon
Photo ID
C250 + C251 + C252 & C253
Top: The New Road cuts across  the centre of the view, at the top line is Sizers Hill off Henshaw Lane.
Gill Lane begins top left and runs right across the picture to bottom right.
The church school built by donation from Mr. Barwick is on the corner of Henshaw Lane and the top of Gill Lane to the right.
Dinsdale Buildings run from right to left mid centre. most of the cottages on this section have gone except for three shops and the Woolpack Inn opposite.
The little row of cottages mid left are on New Road Side.
Across the New Road going down Gill Lane we pass the old garages and the cottages belonging to the Gas Works.
Upper middle: A view of the gas works with cottages at the bottom, an old lane, Goit Lane arc’s off to the right, it leads to Warm Lane.
Lower middle: A view of two cottages and a barn belonging to Low Hall, the barn was used to house the coaches.
The gardens were used for produce, the beck runs top middle to the right and under Gill Lane, it flows from the Dam at the top of Yeadon.
Bottom: A bigger view of cottages on Gill Lane, with a farmhouse where they kept pigs ( now no's 24 and 26 ) middle left, next to this is a house that used to belong to Julia Dinsdale, but now tenanted (August 2014).
The gardens at the bottom used to be allotments.

Photo ID    R573
Allotment Stores - 1972/73
Mrs Atkinson is officially opening the Allotment Stores off Henshaw Lane, for a small enrolment fee members could purchase necessary items for gardens or allotments.  From left to right are:  Mr Dick Gibbon, Mr F H King,  Mr H Myers.
Mrs Atkinson, Mr J D Atkinson Chairman of Aireborough UDC, Councillor Freeman, Mrs Freeman, Mrs Myers.
Donated by Neil Ascough. 


Post a Comment

Please login to post a comment.