Aireborough Historical Society

Storey Evans

Storey Evans

Title
Storey Evans
Date 1980s
Location Rawdon
Photo ID
FB092 
Comment
Storey Evans - 1980s
 
Originally this building was part of the old Larkfield Mill situated on Larkfield Road. Storey Evans were a carton and label printers who are now solely manufacturing packaging for pharmaceutical companies. 

The previous occupants W B Cartwrights & Co. Ltd, also produced pills and potions.
 
Donated by Joyce Wilson.
Photo ID    Y023
Seen from Larkfield Road, Storey Evans print works, the business was located here from around 1911.
The rear of the premises housed W B Cartwrights & Co, Ltd, patent medicine manufactures, 'Rennies' indigestion tablets were made there. 
Photo ID    Y024
Situated on Larkfield Road, this site was originally Larkfield woollen mill built in 1825, by the Thompson family.
Around 1870, it became the concern of Willian Croft Forrest, woollen manufacturer, Storey Evans occupied the building from 1911. 
Photo ID    Y025
The sign points left to reception and right to the print works.  The company relocated to Robin Mill, Greengates, Bradford, printing and producing packaging. 
Photo ID    Y026
The car parking area, the building which resembles an old toll house at the yard entrance was possibly built as a security measure to check employees in and out.
This followed attacks by Luddites in the area in 1812, when Low Mill (another Thompson owned mill was targeted), by 1825, when Larkfield Mill began operating Luddite activity had ceased but the period was an uneasy one with much political and general unrest among the population.



Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 05 February 2021.
Last updated: 05 February 2021.

 

Post a Comment

Please login to post a comment.

 

Register

Register   

 


search