Aireborough Historical Society

Rawdon Hall


Rawdon Hall
Title
Rawdon Hall
Date Undated
Location Rawdon
Photo ID
B038 + C317 + C318 + & C416 C415
Comment
1: Ancient seat of the Rawdon family, George Rawdon began building this house in the late 16th Century, situated off Rawdon Hall Drive it has sometimes been referred to as Rawdon Low Hall.
An overmantel in the West Wing has a carving Anno Domini 1625, many of the downstairs rooms are panelled.
This is a view of the house facing east.

2: Rawdon Hall is located on Cliffe Lane and was built by George Rawdon in the late 16th Century, there is a date stone for 1625 but it is thought this was added when the building was finished. This image is of a fireplace with carved overmantel. For more information about the Rawdon family and subsequent owners see "A History of Rawdon" by David C Willcock, whose son Charles is our web site designer.

3: Exterior view of the hall which was built in the late 1500s.

4: The house dates back to at least 1625, it was built by George Rawdon and is located on Cliffe Lane.
Subsequent residents were the Overend family who were early followers of the Quaker persuasion, Samuel Bingley a wealthy farmer, a Major Harris, Nathaniel Briggs and his descendants.
It was requisitioned by the Army during the Second World War.
Charlotte Bronte visited the Hall when she worked as a governess at nearby Upperwood House.

5: One of the rooms in the hall with period furniture and carved stonework on the walls.
C605

Undated: This is described as the silver room.

On the 17th century chimney piece it is noted that there is new coat of arms in the central panel.




 

Graham Branston
Graham Branston
There is more information about Rawdon Hall in my booklet 'The Halls of Rawdon'. The A.H.S. and Rawdon Library have copies. It was once known by many as Low Hall because the 'high' hall was Layton Hall set back from Town Street at its junction with Layton Lane. It is the oldest hall in Rawdon. The other two, Buckstone Hall and Woodleigh Hall are 19th century 'brass castles'; a term coined by a local historian to describe mini mansions built by wealthy mill owners and business people. You can see several more in the Cragg Wood area.
30 June 2019
Helen M.
Helen M.
The coat of arms in the silver room (C605) has a turkey crest. William Strickland was supposed to be the person who introduced turkeys to England (after sailing with Sebastian Cabot) and his coat of arms given in the mid 16th Century has a turkey crest with 3 crosses on the shield (called cross pattees apparently).
Perhaps the arms in Rawdon Hall are "related" in some way to the Stricklands - it has the turkey atop and the two crosses on the shield are the same design as Wm. Strickland's. Possible?
20 July 2019
Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


calendarmemories