Aireborough Historical Society

Rawdon Golf and Tennis Club

Rawdon Golf and Tennis Club
Title
Rawdon Golf and Tennis Club
Date Undated
Location Rawdon
Photo ID
A319
Comment
View of the golf links with Buckstone Rock on the right screened by trees. Buckstone Rock (Buxton marked on the image is incorrect) was a gathering place for religious dissenters before the Baptist Chapel was built in Cragg Wood in 1712.
The Golf Club was initially a tennis and croquet club dating from the 1870s, the Golf Club was established in 1896, 40 acres of poor farmland were bought for a course which was designed by Harry Vardon who laid out the 9 hole course.
Vardon was a famous golfer and course architect in the late 1890s-1914.
Tennis courts are also available.

 

 


 

Post a Comment

Please login to post a comment.

 

Register

Register   

 


calendarmemories