Aireborough Historical Society

Little London School 1846 - 1960






Title
Little London School 
Date 1846 - 1960
Location Rawdon
Photo ID
G007
Comment
Little London School  Pupils - 1922
 
Robert Milligan paid for this school to be built on Micklefield Lane.  It was run on Christian principles but with no specific allegiance to a particular church.
 
It was also utilised as a Baptist Sunday School and a Mechanics Institute only infants were taught there from 1920 until it closed in 1960.
 
A class of infants are seen here with a Noah's Ark, their names were:
Back row left to right: Lester Thomas, Tom Smith, Malcolm Chambers, George Bell, Tom Beel, Kenneth Hewitt, Raymond Osset and teacher, Miss Greenwood.
 
Front row from left to right: Elsie Thomas, Tom Coultas, Lizzie Calvert, Joan Lockwood, Madge Prince,  ( ? )  Neville Knight, Susie Jenkinson, Jennie Hardy, Alan Grimshaw.  The boy in front on the left is Ronnie Chambers, the boy on the right is unknown.

Photo ID    T39
Little London School  Pupils - 1926
 
Young pupils at the school with a variety of toys including a rocking horse, Noah's Ark and a dolls house. 
 

Photo ID    I015
Little London School  Pupils - 1942
 
The adults on the left side are Mr and Mrs George Prince.  To the right is Headmistress, Miss Simms and Mr Ernest Lawson.

2nd row up end of left hand side is Iris Chamberlain.

4th row up 10th child along the right hand side is Eileen Illingworth and on her left is her sister Joan Illingworth.

Back row girl in the middle, Sandra Cole her brother Gordon Cole, curly haired boy end of back row left hand side.

Mr Lawson owned a garage on Leeds Road approximately 300 metres past the Rawdon Co-op and lived at Ivy House on Over Lane.
Photo ID    U497
Little London School  Pupils - 1952
 
Fancy dress day for the children.  In this photograph are: Angela Elliot, Joyce Munn, Rosalind Greenacre and Stephen Allison. 

Donated by Stephen Allinson. 
Photo ID    P315
Little London School - Undated
 
After the school closed in 1960, it was used as a storage facility by the education authority then converted into apartments in 1980 and called 'Micklefield Mews'. 



Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw - 19 January 2021.
Last updated: 19 February 2021. Photo ID: I015.  Additional text.

 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


search