Aireborough Historical Society

Friends School 1832 - 1924 (1)





Title
Friends School 1832 - 1924
Date 1832 - 1924
Location Rawdon
Photo ID
FF127
Comment
 
To view some crockery used at this school or to return to Friends (Quakers) Meeting House - click here.
The school when opened in 1832, by the Society of Friends (Quakers), initially with 40 boy pupils only.
The fee was £12 a year, girls were also enrolled in 1836.
Strict discipline was enforced with pupils carrying out domestic tasks as well as being taught.  The school closed in 1924 and pupils were transferred to Ackworth School near Pontefract.
The property was used for residential purposes until 1930 when Rawdon Council judged them unfit for habitation.
It is now an area of small business units (February 2018).
  
In this view the Headmasters house is in the middle and the school is to the right.
 
The below 10 images which show the buildings in derelict state, including part of the site used by the Aireborough Engineering Company.
 
Donated by Barbara Winfield. 



Photo ID    U089A

Photo ID    PU089B

Photo ID   PU089C

Photo ID    PU089D

Photo ID    PU089E

Photo ID    PU089F

Photo ID   PU089G

Photo ID    PU089H

Photo ID    P325





Photo ID    S252 Donated by Carol Hall.
Photo ID    S11       
Friends School Pupils Exercising - 1897
 
Physical exercise lessons were taught on military lines to as 'drill'.
 
Here is a class of boys in the playground exercising with poles.
 



Photo ID    S14
Friends School - 1898
 
A view of the school buildings and playground.

Photo ID    S242
Friends School Pupils Sledging - Undated
 
An unusual and charming scene, pupils and adults from the school on Low Green are out on sledges enjoying the snow.
 
Donated by Carol Hall.

Photo ID    S08
Friends School Pupils - 1897
 
A game of cricket in progress on fields behind the school, the back of the school can be seen on the right.
Greenhill Chapel on Leeds Road is visible between the school buildings and cottages on Low Green. 


Photo ID    S07
Friends School Football Team - 1897
 
Boys who played in the football team, the master on the left is Thomas Sittle.



Previous Comments.

Graham Branston

The first headteacher of the Friends (Quakers) School was James Bolton and he was paid £100 a year. Because in the early years of the school, epidemics, especially cholera were rife, pupils had to have a health certificate confirming they were free from infectious diseases as a requirement for admission. Fees were subject to means testing. In the early years of the school, pupils with well to do parents paid £16 per academic year, less well to do £12 and poorer families £6. Education was important to Friends and before the advent of free schools, along with several small fee paying day schools and Sunday Schools, the Friends School offered local children from all religions, a good basic education.

30 March 2018
 

Graham Branston

Other significant fee paying schools in Rawdon in the mid 19th century were Benton Park School for 'young gentlemen' on the site of the present Benton Park School, though in a rather more substantial building. Secondly on Layton Avenue (then called Back Lane) was a small boarding school for girls, now a huge semi-detached house opposite the Jubilee community building.

30 March 2018
 
Graham Branston

One of the most famous boarding schools in West Yorkshire and beyond, Woodhouse Grove, Apperley Bridge was founded in 1812 originally for the sons of Methodist Ministers.

30 March 2018




1 of 2  2 of 2 >>

 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


search