2: Built on the site of Esholt Priory by Sir Walter Calverley, the hall and estate were bought by Robert Stansfield in 1755, his family remained there until it was sold to Bradford Council in 1904.
The last male heir was Major General William Crompton Stansfield who died in1880 aged 52.
He left 3 daughters Mary Evelyn Maud, Elizabeth Alexandra and Consuela Albinia.
From around the 1860s there were problems on the Esholt estate caused by Bradford Council's attempts to dispose of sewage via a beck which deposited waste along it's course, including Esholt.
In 1869 Major General Stansfield had taken out an injunction against the Council to force them to stop this practice as a result Bradford Council were forced to invest in treatment facilities.
The City fathers then tried to compulsorily purchase Esholt estate but the House of Lords refused to sanction this move.
When the decision was known in Esholt village there was much jubilation.
Villagers met the train at Apperley Station on which the Misses Stansfield had traveled back from London and cheered them home.
Unfortunately this euphoria was not to last as in 1904 the Hall and estate were sold to Bradford Council for £239,742.
It is now the property of Yorkshire Water.
The reason for this decision is not known, Consuela was the only one of the sisters to marry, her husband was the Rev. Malcolm McCall of Barrowby, Kirby Overblow. They had no children and she died in 1932.
The other two sisters refused to move from the Hall and were allegedly evicted by Bradford Council at which point farm workers piled their belongings onto carts and took them to Parkgate, Guiseley, home of the Thompsons.
Miss Mary Evelyn moved to Matcham Park, Hampshire, Miss Elizabeth Alexandra to Buckden Hall, Skipton which belonged to the family.
1: Shows the Esholt Coat of Arms, on the wall of Esholt Hall, over an upper window just under the eaves.
3: The staircase originally came from Wallington Hall, Northumberland, it was removed from Esholt and taken to Barrowby, Kirby Overblow.
The Barrowby Estate came into the Rookes Crompton family through Emma Markham who married Willam Rookes in 1824.
It was owned by her father, she and her husband inherited the property on his death.
4: A group of people pose on the steps of the Hall, the man on the right is
General William Henry Crompton Stansfield, he was in residence 1871 - 1888
5: The old stable block at Esholt Hall.
6: Windows seen in the cellar, possibly part of the Cistercian Priory of St
Leonard which was on the site before the Hall was built.
7: A side view of Esholt Hall.