Aireborough Historical Society

Towngate (4)

Stocks

Title
Stocks and Gaslamp
Date 1906
Location Guiseley
Photo ID
A092
Comment
The Green with Guiseley stocks, an ancient method of punishment for those who committed minor criminal acts.
Behind the stocks is the first gas lamp to be erected in Guiseley.
Sir William Matthew Thompson of Parkgate Guiseley paid for all the public gas lighting in the town.
In the background is the smithy and blacksmiths house, these were purchased by the district council in 1907 for road improvements.

 

E900

Undated: A view of Towngate as it was before road alterations and demolition of buildings, behind the cross and stocks is the old smithy.

Included in "Souvenir of Guiseley & District"

Donated by Jennifer Mawson




 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


calendarmemories