Top: This view of the church shows the lychgate.
St Oswalds is the mother church
for the Parish of Guiseley which had included Esholt, Yeadon, Rawdon and
The first church was erected around 1150 AD Sir Simon Warde was
granted the Manor of Guiseley and his family rebuilt and extended the church in
the 13th Century.
Many more alterations and additions have been carried out
On the 29th December 1812 Patrick Bronte and Maria Branwell were
married here, they were the parents of the Bronte sisters.
Bottom: On the left is the New Inn public house, selling Tetley's ales.
At one time
meetings were held here for the commutation of tithes.
Tithes were originally a
tenth of the produce of the land payable to the church.
A Parliamentary Act of
1836/7 changed this to monetary payments.
Next right is a small drapers shop
with the name Brook above the window.
St Oswalds church with the lychgate
dominates the view, the lychgate was erected as a memorial for the fallen of the