Aireborough Historical Society

Methodist Church Demolition 1985

Methodist Church Demolition, Guiseley. 1985
Methodist Church Demolition, Guiseley. 1985
Title
Wesleyan Methodist Church Demolition
Date 1985
Location Guiseley
Photo ID
V170 (BB074) + V171 (BB075) + P036 + P037 + P038 + P046 + P050 + P051 + P052 + P053 + P060 + P061 + P070 & P071
Comment
1: Demolition of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Oxford Road.

2: Only the spire and frontage of the church on Oxford Road remain in this view. It was swiftly replaced by the present church building (August 2013).

3, 4 & 5: Demolition of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Oxford Road, a replacement was built on the same site.
 
6: Demolition of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Oxford Road.
 
7, 8, 9, 10: Demolition of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Oxford Road.
 
11 & 12: Demolition of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Oxford Road, a new church was built immediately on the same site.
 
13 & 14: The old Wesleyan Chapel has been demolished and the site cleared for a new church to be built.
The location is Oxford Road, the new church is called simply Guiseley Methodist Church, in 1932 the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodist denominations combined to form the Methodist Church.
In later years congregations dwindled making it logistically possible to house worshippers under a single roof, a few of the original chapels survive having been converted to domestic or commercial use, for example the Primitive Methodist Chapel in Yeadon which is now offices located next to the Town Hall.
 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


search