1: 1924: A view of Low Mill, the date of construction is unknown.
One of the first
owners was Nathaniel Claughton, then a man called Driver.
In 1880 it was the
business of Smith Riley and Co. until around 1905.
It laid empty for some years
until bought by Mr W Machell.
In the background can be seen trains on the Leeds-Ilkley and Bradford
- Ilkley lines. Behind Low Mill was a Quaker burial ground which was disturbed
when the line from Guiseley to Yeadon was laid, remains were moved to the burial
ground on Quaker Lane but a marker stone was left dated 1669.
The mill chimney
was demolished in 1961.
2: Low Mill Ponds were located in the area
below Ghyll Royd which is now the site of Willie Machell's yard (June 2015).
One of the
early mill occupants was Nathaniel Claughton, then a man named Driver, in 1880
Philomen Slater states that it was Smith Riley and Co. who operated there, by
1905 the mill was unused.