Aireborough Historical Society

1860 Accidental Poisoning Yeadon




Title
Accidental Poisoning
Date February 1860
Location Yeadon
Photo ID
W110
Comment

                                                  "Yeadon

                                    A Boy Poisoned By Mistake

   John Hughes, aged 16 years, son of Cadwalladder Hughes of Yeadon, labourer, being afflicted with worms, was sent on Thursday week by his mother for a powder to the shop of Mr W F Martin of that place, chemist and druggist.

Instead, however, of following the directions given, he went to the establishment of N Wormald, grocer, who ( from the fact of the lad having only recently come out of Wales where he had been brought up and consequently being unable to speak the English Language very perfectly ), understood him to ask for vermin powder and accordingly supplied the boy with one.

   The packet was properly labelled with the word "Poison" but the youth, on his arrival home, pulled off the outside wrapper and threw it in the fire.

The father mixed up the powder with some sugar and the lad took it.

He was at once seized with alarming illness and after the most intense suffering  died about 5 o'clock the following morning.

An inquest was held on the body at the Commercial Inn (Tarn Hotel built on same site), Yeadon before Mr G Dyson, coroner.

A verdict of "Died from strychnine taken in mistake" was returned.

Image courtesy of the British Newspaper Archives, research by Edwy Harling

 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


search