Yeadon - it has for some time been in contemplation
to light the village of Yeadon with gas.
The project has now been taken up in
right good earnest and a company has been formed for that purpose called the
Yeadon Gas Company and in a few hours upwards of 120 shares at £5 each were
taken, the number of shares being limited to ten each subscriber.
It is understood that as soon as a suitable site for the
works can be obtained active operations will be commenced.
In a large
manufacturing village like Yeadon, the want of gas has long been felt and there
is a fair prospect that this will prove a profitable speculation to the
Image courtesy of the British Newspaper Archives, research by Edwy Harling
Further information by Christine Lovedale
The company was founded with a share capital of £6,000,
the chairman of the company was Richard Barwick of Low Hall.
The site chosen for
the gasworks was on New Road opposite Henshaw Lane, in 1851 there were 386
Twelve street lamps were bought and in place by 1865, the company
were to supply gas to Yeadon and the surrounding district until towns gas was
superseded by gas from the North Sea, the gasworks closed in the mid 1960s and
was demolished in 1968.
The site was cleared but stood empty for some years to
ensure no toxic chemicals were in the ground before homes were built there.
The gasometer and logo on the front of the building were
local landmarks, built in the brickwork was the legend "Ex Terra
Lucem",which translates as Light From the Earth.