Aireborough Historical Society

1825 Rawdon Death

Death In Rawdon
Date April 1825
Location Rawdon
Photo ID

 "Death By Fighting

     On Saturday last two young men, John Holden and George Hudson, having quarrelled at the house of William Dennison of Rawden near this place, agreed to settle the difference by a pugilistic encounter.

A few blows had only been exchanged when John Holden fell and expired almost immediately.

       The deceased was a young man of four and twenty, remarkable for his general good character and inoffensiveness.

An inquest was held upon the body at Rawden on Tuesday before Mr James Wiglesworth the coroner.

The verdict was manslaughter, Hudson has been committed to York Castle".

 Image courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive, research by Edwy Harling


July 1825:                     Manslaughter At Rawden

       George Hudson of Rawden ( a respectable looking young man of 20) was charged with killing and slaying John Holden of the same place, in the month of April last.

       Mr Alexander, in opening the case, said he was glad to observe that this was one of those cases which was not marked with any atrocious act beyond what usually attended the loss of life.

       Joseph Emmett who knew the deceased and the prisoner who both lived at Rawden.

On the 2nd April was at Denison's public house.

Prisoner, deceased, John Longfellow, Marshall and Lawson were there.

Hudson and Holden quarrelled.

As witness was going home he saw Holden stript at the door and witness wished deceased to go home but he said he would not, he would fight.

They met and struck a blow or two when Holden dropped down.

Saw him alive on the ground but he died directly afterwards.

      Cross-examined by Mr Jones - Hudson was inclined to be quiet and his father wished for them to be reconciled.

Hudson wished Holden to put it off till Monday and said he would not fight that night.

Hudson was so drunk he could not fight at first.

He was obliged to sit upon a stone.

      John Longfellow saw Hudson and Holden fight.

Three or four blows passed between them and Holden dropped down and he died in three or four minutes afterwards.

      Mr Jones cross-examined this witness to show the prisoner's unwillingness to fight and his general peaceable character.

       Robert Harris, surgeon of Yeadon, was called upon to see Holden at the Emmott's Arms. There were external marks upon the body.

From the appearance of the stomach and the viscera connected with it , he should think he died of a blow to the stomach.

      The Jury found the prisoner Guilty - Imprisoned one week and fined 1s".

Image courtesy of the British Newspaper Archives, research by Edwy Harling


Post a Comment


: (optional)

: (optional)