"Church on Fire -
Just before divine service commenced at Rawden Church (St Peters) on
Sunday morning the congregation was much alarmed on discovering that the roof
was on fire, but by the use of a new engine, in the possession of Messrs
Thompson & Co. of Rawden (Larkfield Mil), (purchased only about a fortnight
since), the flames were soon got under.
It originated in the stove being
overheated and by an accumulation of soot in the pipes"
Images courtesy of the British Newspaper Archives, research by Edwy Harling