"Smock Wind Mill Yeadon
To be SOLD by AUCTION by Joseph Rider on Thursday Twenty Fourth Day of December 1812 at 3 o'clock in the Afternoon, at the Sign of the Wind Mill on the premises in Yeadon
All that Smock Wind Mill, being in good condition &c, well accustomed, having One Pair of Grey Stones, One Pair of Blue Stones and One Pair of Shelling Stones.
Also One Flour Machine, a Drying Kiln, with a good Dwelling House, at present occupied as a Public House with Stabling, a Small Cottage, Garden &c, the same being situate in a good populous neighbourhood, being three miles from Otley, six from Bradford and eight from Leeds.
For further particulars apply to Thomas Brayshaw on the premises who will shew the same".
Image courtesy of the British Newspaper Archives, research by Edwy Harling
Additional text by Christine Lovedale
The exact location of the Windmill is unknown but it was in the vicinity of the present Windmill Lane / Fold.
Philomen Slater, in his book "The History of the Ancient Parish of Guiseley" published in 1880 describes the mill as having four sails, these were blown down during a gale in 1823.
It was purchased by John Hustler who added height to the mill and erected five sails, again the sails were blown down at some time in the 1840s.
A small steam engine was installed to grind corn which operated until 1856, the mill was demolished in 1861.
The stones and any other usable materials were taken by W C Forrest who used them to build some cottages.