The Society was founded in 1957 to record and preserve the history of Aireborough, which consists of:-
- Hawksworth and the area which was covered by Menston Hospital
Saturday 28th March 2020
Google results may contain adverts.
Monthly Speaker Event
Aireborough Historical Society holds monthly (usually 2nd Thursday) speaker events on a variety of topics. For details of the next event.
Become a Member
Why not make new friends, join us and become a member! Annual subscription £10.00 per annum (March to February).
Initially Yeadon was part of Guiseley Parish with worshippers making their way down to St Oswald’s Church which was built between 1150 -1200, eventually St Johns, Henshaw, was erected as a Chapel of Ease, that is a church or similar built for the convenience of those who had to travel a distance to the parish church.
St Andrews served the needs of those who lived in the upper area of the town, designed by Thomas & Francis Healey in Arts & Crafts style it opened in 1890.
Church and Chapel played a great part in the lives of people, providing for spiritual needs, entertainment and social life: choirs, Scouts, bible classes, concerts, pantomimes, sports, teas and trips, all ages were catered for.
The annual Whitsuntide processions are still remembered, in 1912 400 took part led by a band, trips by charabanc ranged from Edinburgh to Beachy Head!
By 2015 congregations had dwindled, the Grade II listed C of E Church was renovated and became the New Life Community Church, the vicarage is now a private home. Research & Text by Christine lovedale