Yeadon Waterworks 1880s
This photograph was originally taken onto a glass
slide by E.E.Slater of Hopeville, Yeadon. It has been digitally transferred for
us by John Hobson
Waterworks Company was founded in 1886, the following years brought disputes with
the Local Board about indifferent or contaminated water supplies.
In the early
days people still used local wells which were situated on the Green (opposite
the Robin Hood Inn, now the Tut and Shive), Warm Lane, Swincar, top of Henshaw,
Albert Square, Moor Grange and the Old Mill (Engine Field).
In the 1880s work
was carried out to improve the supply from the Waterworks and lead pipes which
had been the source of some concern were replaced by iron ones. In this image,
taken on a glass slide by E E Slater, a Mr Peel is holding up a golden
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.