Royal Army Service Corps 1939-45
|Royal Army Service Corps
This photo was taken outside Albert Mill which was being used as a Command
The Military forces in the area were kept supplied by the RASC
with oil, food and petrol from the depot.
By 1941 around 35,000 Army and Air
Force personnel were being supplied.
The RASC troops were initially billeted at Albert Mill then Alexandra
House on the High Street but by late 1941 there were too many to accommodate
there (around 90), half were sent to the basement of the Temperance Hall.
leisure they formed their own cricket and football teams and played against the
local teams and patronised the Clothiers Arms!
On the back row left to right are: Sergeants Smith Ryan Wyver Heaviside.
Seated, on the left: Lieutenant Woollett Captain Manning in the centre and
Sergeant John Morris on the right.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.