Undated: View of Ivegate with
Sandy Way on the left, the wall at the left edge is to the garden of Willow
Cottage, once the home of William Kenion, a Wesleyan Methodist.
In 1852 a
schism in the Wesleyan Methodist Church brought great dissension to the Yeadon
congregation, leaflets had been published demanding reform which Kenion had
read to his Bible Class, as a result he was expelled from the church and
instead held meetings at Willow Cottage.
The reformers grew in number, they
paid Kenion £100 for a site at the top of the High Street and built the
"New Wesleyan Reform Chapel"
This eventually proved to be too small
to accommodate a swelling number of worshippers, Queen Street Chapel was
erected to replace it, the High Street Chapel being used as a Sunday
School and Lecture Hall until it was demolished in September 1973.
On the right of Sandy Way a hanging sign is outside the Waggon and Horses
Inn, in the distance is the Church Institute.
On Ivegate the building in the
centre is the Cricketers Arms, the site is now a car park (November 2013).