1: This image is of Henshaw Lane, the large building on the right at the junction with Gill Lane was a Church of England school.
Richard Barwick of Low Hall had given land for the building of St John's church (1844), this was followed by the school in 1847.
The date is carved on a stone at the entrance.
The ground floor had separate classrooms, the upper floor was one large room. Attached to the building was a care-takers house, any water needed for the school had to come from the house.
Outside to the back of the building were 3 earth closets, the road was used as a playground.
The school was closed in 1907, at that time there were 120 pupils.
It was once the scene of a dramatic accident when a horse pulling a wagon load of barrels down Henshaw Lane ran out of control.
It collided with the corner of the school, the driver was thrown through a window and killed!
The window was bricked up but later, when the premises were being used as a sheet metal workshop the window was reinstated.
Strange things began to occur, furniture moved around and objects were thrown into the air.
It was feared the building was haunted, a local vicar was called in to perform an exorcism.
Haunted or not, the building still stands and is currently a car spares business.
2: This is the upper end of Henshaw Lane, just right of centre St Johns Church
can be seen.
3: View looking up Henshaw Lane to the railway bridge.
The railway opened in
1894 to carry freight only and closed in 1964.
The bridge was demolished in
up Henshaw Lane from the railway abutment, the row of houses on the left were
High Henshaw also known as the "cropping shop".
Houses on Harper Lane can be
seen on the right.
5: An early view of Henshaw Lane seen from the junction with New Road
6: Henshaw Lane seen from New Road, Economy Spares is on the left in
what used to be the old Church of England School which closed in 1907.