road surface collapsed after heavy rain, the road closure ran from just past
Highfield to the junction of Warm Lane / Gill Lane.
It is proposed that over 400
houses are to be built in this area over the next 15 years (August 2013).
is the lower end of the Lane, the photographer Joanne Coultas is standing with
her back to the railway bridge.
beginning of Gill Lane at the junction with Henshaw Lane, on the left is the old
Church of England School which was built in 1847, it is now the premises of a
car spares business (April 2014).
This is the building which is supposedly haunted, at some
time in the past a horse was pulling a cart load of barrels down the lane when
The driver was unseated as the cart collided with the corner of the
building and thrown through a window, he died.
After this tragic accident the
window was boarded up but later was opened up again when the premises were used
by a sheet metal company.
It was then that odd things began to happen; objects
were thrown into the air and furniture moved around, people were so convinced
that the building was haunted that the local vicar was summoned to perform an
Lane seen from New Road (A65) which splits Gill Lane into 2 sections, this is
the "nether" or low Yeadon half.
The Yeadon and Guiseley Gasworks was located to
the left,it is now the site of the Pennythorn estate.
from New Road (A65) this is the "Henshaw" section of Gill Lane, to the left is
Meays butcher's shop also Dinsdale Buildings which are not in view.
To the right
is the Woolpack Hotel.