Band of Hope 1894
|Band of Hope
|Sl012 & SL013
These photographs was originally taken onto glass
slides by E.E.Slater of Hopeville, Yeadon. They have been digitally transferred for
us by John Hobson
C287 6th February 2014
Band of Hope rally on Albert Square.
The Band of Hope was founded in Leeds in
1847, it was a temperance organisation which hoped to make people aware of the
misery and poverty which working class children suffered when adults drank too
Children joined at the age of 6, by the early 1900s 3.5 million adults and
children had joined, Queen Victoria became their Patron.
Yeadon had strong
Methodist chapels and the Temperance Hall which opened in 1905, in contrast
there were also many public houses in the area.
Allegedly many men who were
asked to sign the pledge of abstinence opted to compromise and promised to
refrain from alcohol on one or two days of the week!
In this photo carriages are coming into
Albert Square from Cemetery Road, there is a visible police presence.
Band of Hope parade down the High Street, boys carrying banners walk in front of
a decorated cart with a crowd following behind.
The block of property which
included Rawnsley's shop and Poll Marsden's lodging house were demolished to
form part of Town Hall Square, the Town Hall is set back on the right.
Bottom: An article published in the Wharfedale Observer.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.