||An official party viewing the proposed site for Yeadon airport (Leeds Bradford Airport). In the centre wearing their Mayoral chains and top hats are the Lord Mayors of Leeds and Bradford, Nathaniel George Morrison Lord Mayor of Leeds is on the left, the Lord Mayor of Bradford is either Angus Rhodes or Herbert Pullan.
Also present was Councillor Walmsley, Clerk to Yeadon Council, H Verity, Heaton Naylor and other Council representatives.
On the left are chauffeurs with the officials cars.
In 1931 the airport was opened under the name of Yeadon Aerodrome.
The reverse of the image is marked 1950, notes from an old diary of Alderman Joseph Wilkinson , 101 Iveson Drive Leeds 6 (now 16) referring to the airport he remarks:
"Occupies 266 acres and about £140,00 has been spent by the Corporations of Leeds and Bradford on it's layout and equipment. It is at present requisitioned by the Air Ministry and leased to Lancashire Aircraft Corps".
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.