Benton Park School 1875
|Benton Park School
Advertisement for Benton Park School with line drawing of the building.
The school was begun by Joseph Riley in 1838, by 1851 he had 33 boys in residence.
His son John was also a teacher there.
The card must have been printed after 1844, in the background on the right of the illustration the tower of St Johns Church, Henshaw can be seen, it was built in 1844.
In the 1860s it was bought by the Milligan family for use as a private home and was not used as an educational establishment until Littlemoor School utilized the premises as a senior department until 1957 when the building was demolished.
The present Benton Park School was erected on the site, opening in 1960.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.