September 2015: Members of Rawdon Trinity Church gathered at the
burial ground in Cragg Wood to attend a service in memory of those who fought
against persecution and prejudice for the right of religious freedom, the
dissenters of old had to worship in secret.
The Baptists had built their first
chapel in Cragg Wood in 1712 or 1715.
In 1912 the chapel was no longer in use,
having been replaced by larger premises in a more open site on Micklefield
Lane, this chapel was rebuilt twice to accommodate larger congregations.
burial ground had become neglected and overgrown, it was given a new wall,
tombs restored and the ground cleared, this was celebrated by a service of
rededication on what was thought to be the 100th anniversary of the initial
Once again the site has been restored
and is kept in good condition as part of an agreement when a small development
was allowed in the vicinity on the site previously used as an orchid nursery.
Since then a service has been held annually, 2015 marked the 300 years since
the first building (the exact year is unknown), a heritage displayed showed
various old photos and documents including a leaflet which gives the order of
service for the 1912 re-dedication.
One of the 2015 images was taken in the
same position as a 1912 photo and gives an appealing "then and now"
Donated by Ruth Ashton-Ward