Esholt Old Hall 1978
|Esholt Old Hall
|A270 & A271
Esholt Old Hall is situated off Church Lane, it stands on a former moated site and is thought to have developed from an aisled hall.
Richard Sherbourne owned the Hall in the 16th Century, he had an ironwork's in Esholt woods.
There was also a fulling mill and a watermill (corn) in operation.
A transfer deed of 1626 shows Roger Wilkinson occupied the fulling mill and Matthew Hoppey was the tenant of the corn mill.
It is believed the corn mill was a Manorial or "Kings Mill"
There is evidence of later building periods and the Hall is now divided into several dwellings.
When the television serial "Emmerdale" was filmed in the village the Old Hall was a popular location.
This view of Esholt Old Hall shows a stone built property with mullion windows. On the right is a barn.
The upper window in the middle of the apex has ancient lattice panes, many additions and alterations have been made to this old building which is now divided into separate dwellings.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.