Aireborough Historical Society

Addingham Saw Mill 1999

Addingham Saw Mill
Date October 1999
Location Addingham
Photo ID
S120 to S135     Photographer Andrew Emsley
The photographer and donor of these images Andrew Emsley looked round the saw mill on Saw Mill Lane when it was owned by Peter Brier.
      The building was constructed as a cotton mill in 1802 for Anthony Fentiman & Sons, it was converted into a saw mill in the 1860s.
A water wheel with flow from Town Beck and Back Beck provided power, at a later period a gas engine was installed waste sawdust was used as fuel.
     A team from the saw mill went out to fell timber which was stored and seasoned before use in thTe mill, a wide range of wooden items were produced, furniture, household goods, fencing etc.
The mill and adjacent buildings have now been renovated and converted into housing.

Post a Comment

Please login to post a comment.