1: On the left is an area of cleared ground which had been the site of
housing, Cassfield Mill lay behind these properties.
The large building is the
Primitive (Providence) Methodist Chapel which was demolished in 1967.
right are shops on Otley Road, there are hanging signs outside the Regent Hotel,
just behind them the stone wall is the end of Bedford Place.
2: Coopers Bar occupies the former Co-op building which was built in 1924. The
upper floor became a popular venue for funeral teas, the entrance to the bar on
the right still retains the tiling which denotes it was the Co-op butchers
of Otley Road (A65) looking in the direction of the junction with Oxford Road
and Victoria Road.
view looks in the direction of the junction with Oxford Road / Victoria Road.
the left is Benfield Ford Garage followed by terrace houses which are addressed
as Richmond Terrace.
The photo is dated 1960s but it is thought that it could be the 1950s
5: Leeds City Transport bus, Regent 021 serving route 71 which operated to
Leeds via Rawdon, Horsforth and Kirkstall.
Donated by Chris Youhill
some of the facebook comments about photo number 5:-
6: Otley Road looking towards the junction with Oxford Road, the Station Hotel
is on this corner. To the left is a house built by J B Busfield.
7: Looking in the direction of Oxford Road, houses which are ready for
Also a hoarding with advertisements for Heinz beans, Smith's crisps,
Craven's mints, rum, cigarettes and Turog brand bread.