Barbers Shop, Towngate 1930s
|Barbers Shop, Towngate
This business is still North's hairdressers (January 2013), in previous times it was a
barbers, Dougie North is seen here as an apprentice on the left of the then
proprietor Mr Schofield.
Dougie began his training under Tom Barker who before
long sold the shop to George Schofield, in turn Benny Patrick became the owner
and finally Dougie acquired the shop in 1936.
He served in the Army for the
years 1939-45 when the shop was run by assistants, in addition to cutting hair
cigarettes and walking sticks were sold plus umbrellas mended.
A popular item
was a hair cream which set hair almost rigid.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.