Letter proposing the appointment of Mr W J Morley as
architect for the new school and his acceptance.
The existing school on Chapel
Hill had been condemned by Government inspectors in 1881 so the drive to build
a new school began.
Land was purchased from a Miss Ripley of Guiseley, four
acres which cost £680.
As was customary a prize was awarded for the best plan,
it was proposed to build separate departments for boys, girls and infants to
house over a thousand pupils.
After much wrangling and disagreements the
Local Board were finally ordered by the Government to expedite the building of
the school, Mr Morley's plans were accepted, a loan of £6,000 secured for the
building costs and work began and the school was opened in January 1886.