Aireborough Historical Society

1850 St Oswald's Church re-opening




Title
St Oswald's Church re-opening
Date December 1850
Location Guiseley
Photo ID
V340
Comment

    Re-opening of Guiseley Parish Church.

On Sunday last three sermons were preached in behalf of the funds for the restoration of this church.

The ancient edifice, erected in the 14th century, has through the indefatigable exertions of the Rev. Geo. Pindar, the esteemed curate, undergone a complete and thorough repair, the Rev. gentleman having used unceasing and untiring efforts to obtain subscriptions for this laudable purpose.

    The whole of the north side has been entirely rebuilt, the massive pillars re-cut and the capitals remoulded, the traceries of the windows and roof remodelled and various figures of the Apostles cut in high relief under the Gothic arches of the windows.

     A novel plan has been adopted with the reading desk which turns on a pivot, presenting either side or end to the congregation at the will of the reader.

On the whole the highest credit is due to the architect and committee of management.

      The sermons on the occasion of re-opening the church were preached by the Rev. J Bell MA in the morning, the Rev. J H Walton in the afternoon and the Hon, and Rev. P Y Savile in the evening.

Appropriate anthems were sung by a full and efficient choir, Mr Clayton presiding at the organ. The collections amounted to £14. 5s. 3d. 

    "Church Missions- On Sunday two sermons were preached at St Johns Church by the Rev. A O Wellstead on behalf of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, but in consequence of the re-opening of Guiseley Church occurring the same day the congregation was unusually small ; the collections amounted to £3. 14s. 6d"

 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


searchcalendar