Aireborough Historical Society

1843 St Johns Church Yeadon




Title
St Johns Church Yeadon
Date April 1843
Location Yeadon
Photo ID
U459
Comment

"New Church at Yeadon in the Parish of Guiseley On Wednesday last, April 5th, the foundation stone of the above intended new Church was laid by Benjn. Thompson Esq. of Park Gate, Guiseley. One acre of ground for the site and Churchyard was given by Richard Barwick Esq. of Low Hall, Yeadon. The stone for the Church was given by John Womersley Esq. Mawcroft House, Rawdon.

    At the ceremony we saw the Rev. Dr Hook Vicar of Leeds; the Rev.R W S Redhead of Calverley; the Rev J Hart Vicar of Otley; the Rev.

Thomas Furbank , Bramley; the Rev. R J Lewthwaite Jun. Adel; the Rev.

D Jenkins, Pudsey; the Rev. John Gooch, Stanningley; the Rev.W J Risdale, the Rev. J Horsfall and the Rev. J C Home , Otley; the Rev. E Richardson, Burley. The prayers were offered up by the Rev. A Ibbotson of Rawdon and the Rev, W H B Stocker, Horsforth and the address was delivered by the Rev.W Lindley, Guiseley, the clergyman of the Parish.

     There was a  numerous and most respectable attendance of the laity, among whom we noticed John White Esq. of Upperwood House, Rawdon; William Turley Esq. Lane Head, Yeadon. (members of the Building Committee); John Marshall Esq. Lane Ends, Horsforth;  Wm.

Furbank Esq. and Henry Newstead Esq. Otley; Walker Rawstorne Esq. (the

architect) and BB Popplewell Esq. Bradford and many others.

      The proceedings were regarded with great interest and God's blessing, we doubt not, will attend the undertaking. The party was most kindly entertained by Richard Barwick Esq.

     The Church (dedicated to St John the Evangalist), will be in the early English style and will cost, it is supposed 2,000 guineas to be defrayed by local subscriptions and grants from different Church Building Societies. A beautiful silver trowel bearing the following inscription, was presented to Mr Rawstorne previous to the ceremony; "Presented to Benjamin Thompson Esq. at the ceremonial laying of the first stone of St Johns Church, Yeadon in the Parish of Guiseley

April 5th 1843   Walker Rawstorne architect    J Wilson Sc"

Image courtesy of the British Newspaper Archives, research by Edwy Harling

 

Post a Comment

:
 

: (optional)


: (optional)


:
 

 

Register

Register   

 


calendarmemories