St Oswald’s is the Parish Church of Guiseley with Esholt, the Parish dates back to the 12th Century and included Yeadon, Guiseley, Rawdon, Horsforth and Esholt, all marriages, burials and Baptisms took place there. Down the years various additions and alterations were made to the building, St Peters Church in Rawdon was the first Chapel of Ease to be erected in the Parish, building began in 1645. This was followed by St Johns Yeadon in 1844 and St Margarets Horsforth 1865 giving the outlying areas of the Parish their own places of worship.
In 1812 Patrick Bronte and Maria Branwell were married in St Oswald’s, they were the parents of the famous literary Bronte sisters. Rectors came and went over time, in 1906 James Francis Howson came to the parish, he was responsible for many changes, restoration of the village cross on the Green, the revival of St Oswald’s Day, extensions and alterations to the fabric of the church and repairs to the old Rectory. Some of the cost for these works came from his own pocket, he died in 1934.
Photo taken in January 2015 by Phil Walker
Text & Research by Christine Lovedale.